Thursday, July 2, 2015

Maria Is Leaving Seasame Street

Hi Friends,

Maria is no longer going to be on Sesame Street. after 45 years, the actress and writer who embodied Maria is leaving. When I found out, I ran downstairs to tell my husband and I could barely get the words out because I was crying. I am surprised by how emotional I got and then I laughed at myself because I was crying and hurting over a TV character.  I cannot explain why this resonates so deeply with me. I feel like I grew up with Sesame Street. I remember watching the clock as a child, waiting for 3pm so I could turn on the TV for Sesame Street, even though many of the episodes were repeated. This was the pre-cable TV days in Trinidad and Tobago.

I still love Sesame Street and due to the magic of Netflix and DVDs, I have introduced my children to Sesame Street. I am sure my 2 year old knows her alphabet and learned to count due to Sesame Street. Sesame Street was and is always ahead of it’s time. You learn love, acceptance, friendship and so much more. Maria is a woman who is a minority, multi-lingual, owns and runs her own business where she fixes things, traditionally a male-centric occupation. She is also a wife and mother. She is an example to girls and women. I love her.

Thank you Sesame Street and thank you to Sonia Manzano for giving us Maria. Thank you for the lessons and for the memories. Muchas Gracias.



XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment