Saturday, February 28, 2015

Work In Progress: Overcoming Brattiness.



Hi friends,

There are so many clichés in life that are clichés for a reason. They are true. The ones about not truly appreciating your mom until you are a mom? True. Same goes for anything about needing your parents. Totally true.

When I was a terrible teenage, I remember the feeling of being in a contact state of flux, waiting to get to 18 to escape my parents. Well, you never escape your parents. You move out, build a life for yourself but your parents and family are part of you. And you realize you never really wanted to escape them. You just needed some space to screw up on your own.

My dad turned 65 this week and I realized that my parents are getting older. I know, I should have accepted it earlier since biology and all but I never really thought about it. As all kids do for most of their lives, I took my parents for granted and I do not express my gratitude enough.

One day, it will be my turn. It already is. My kids take it for granted that I will cook, clean and always be there for them. I want them to always feel secure that they have their parents as their safety net. Of course, this illusion will not last forever but we will hold on to it for as long as possible.
I have come to rely on my parents and in-laws so much, especially when Baby Daddy is travelling. I applaud all of you who keep it together without any help. I fully take and ask for help whenever I need it.

I still remember how horrid I was as a teenager. I mean with the emotions and the drama. Always feeling that I had it so bad, my parents were too strict, I never got to do anything etc. You know the drill. I know my day is coming and I get to experience it with a boy and a girl. I know I will marvel at how my parents did it. All I can do is say thank you to my parents. I am more aware of asking anything of them. I stopped (for the most part) expecting that they can always accommodate me. I make a conscious effort to ask if they can help babysit before making plans. I make sure to say thank you. They go out of their way to help when they can, as parents do.

I’m getting maudlin but I guess what I am trying to say is what I have realized. I need to make a conscious effort to be kind and grateful to those closest to me, my family. We make so much effort with strangers, we just need to do it more with those in our hearts. 

Very grateful for this family.


XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment