Monday, November 10, 2014

Remembrance Day Poppy Craft

Hi friends,

I am not especially crafty but I have been trying to get craftier and come up with projects for Noah. I am always looking for ways to entertain him without a screen and also save my sanity. Remembrance Day is here and with the recent events in Canada’s capital we have been talking about appreciating all that our soldiers and war veterans have done for us. Noah is very excited about pinning poppies on his lapels so I decided to come up with an easy craft for Remembrance Day and so the bouquet of poppies idea was born.

Here is what I used:

  1. Red construction paper
  2. Black construction paper
  3. Tape
  4. Glue
  5. Green pipe cleaners
  6. Scissors
  7. Small jar with rice (to hold the bouquet)

 

How we did it:
 
 
  1. I had a poppy on hand that I used as a template and freehand drew some poppies on the red construction paper. I’m not an artist but I figured imperfect poppies were perfect for us.
  2. Cut out the poppies.
  3. Cut out black circles or shapes for the middle of the poppies.
  4. Glue the black pieces to the middle of the red flowers.
  5. Tape pipe cleaners to the back of the poppies.
  6. Display in a baby food jar that was filled with rice.
Noah is not into arts and crafts but he does enjoy cutting paper and using glue. This project did not take long and it held his attention almost to completion. He wanted to move onto to something else but I managed to get him re-engaged with taping the pipe cleaners to the poppies.
 
 
 

Overall, this was a fun project, with minimal frustration. I’m planning to replicate it with other flowers. Christmas poinsettias perhaps?


XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment