Monday, February 20, 2012

Jumping on the Downton Bandwagon

Hi friends,

I have been hearing about Downton Abbey for a while now. I know it really caught on in the US but I just haven’t had the time to check it out until this weekend. Baby Daddy said “I found this British romance old time show that you might like, right up your alley.” I was pretty excited when I found out it was Downton Abbey and even more excited when he wanted to watch it with me.  So in 2 days, we watched 2 seasons and the Christmas special episode. Yes, we do have a 20 month old and no we did not neglect him. He had an impromptu sleepover with my in-laws last night and since we are young, hip and happening, we went grocery shopping, had the car washed and spent a few hours watching Downton. See? Told you we were living the life.

Much like Lost and Mad Men, I fell fast and hard for Downton. Everything, the clothes, the romance, the drama, the tension, the angst. I love it! It has been an emotional roller coaster for me too. I’ve gone from hating characters, to feeling sorry for them, to liking them to disliking them again. And again, much like Lost and Mad Men, I know I am going to go into withdrawal until new episodes come out. I can already tell that I will find myself goggling the characters just to get a fix. If only I could be obsessed with physical fitness as much as TV…

I love the contrariness of the social conventions of the early 1900s in the British aristocracy. Marriage as a business dictates who can marry whom, while keeping within social station. The marriage of lord and Lady Grantham baffles me. He married her for her money and later fell in love with her but she is American. I did not think an Earl could or would marry even an American because there was no way she could have the pedigree but I guess her dowry was large enough for him to overcome that and save his beloved Downton.   I could go on and on about the show so I better stop.

In this day if all the crap on TV, I am happy and refreshed to see something entertaining and original. The language is beautiful, the dialogue is smart and the acting is outstanding. I cannot wait for the new episodes. Until then, I will be surfing for my fix.

Dressing for dinner? Maybe if I the staff.

Great cast.

I would wear this. Well maybe not that hairstyle.

XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment