Sunday, October 2, 2011

Happy 13th Birthday Google!

Hi friends,

So Google turned 13 this week. Wow, I feel old. It feels like Google was only 5. I remember my teen years and I would not want to re-live them. It wasn’t all bad but it wasn’t all peaches and cream either.  There was a lot of angst. This grand occasion got me reminiscing about what I was doing 13 years ago and then I started thinking about things I do now that I never thought I would do...

Thirteen years ago, I started university and Baby Daddy and I stated dating. Who knew that 13 years later we would be married, living in the suburbs with our wonderful son.  13 years ago I also got my first cell phone. It was a flip phone and very “in.” it also weighed about 32 lbs. How far we have come!

13 things from 13 years ago…

  1. Hardly anyone carried a laptop around and if they did, it was one that was super thick and super heavy.
  2. My car had a tape player and I used an adaptor to plug in my CD Walkman to play CDs.
  3. None of the popular kids had Apple computers.
  4. There was no Apple Store.
  5. If I wanted to record a show, I had to set my VCR.
  6. Friends was still on TV.
  7. I did my research in the library at school.
  8. There was no high definition TV.
  9. A 3D movie was something from the 50s.
  10. I read actual paper books.
  11. Digital cameras were still “newfangled” devices.
  12. No one knew what a hashtag was.
  13. I did not text or BBM or email from my cell phone.


I’m sure that lots more things that should be on that list but those are the things that come to mind. There are things I do today that I never thought I would. Holding a sleeping, teething baby in one arm and loading the washing machine comes to mind.
Technology has jumped so much too. I remember watching Star Trek (Voyager was my favourite) and they would always read books on these digital devices. 


Today…

  1. I take my ereader with me everywhere. I can even borrow books from the library and download instantly without leaving my house.  
  2. I can take videos on my phone and upload instantly to the internet.
  3. I can take photos and email them to my friends.
  4. My smartphone is now my organizer, I never carry a Filofax.  
  5. I can no longer use my laptop as a free weight.
  6. I never watch a TV show when it’s schedule, thanks to my PVR
  7. I barely venture outside the HD channels on my TV
  8. I can watch a 3D movie in the comfort of my home. I still have to wear kinda dorky glasses but I can do it!
  9. I tweet and Facebook and blog and hashtag.
  10. Everyone and their brother has a MacBook.
  11. The Apple store is like an exclusive club. All the cool kids hang out there.
  12. I would have to go hunting for a CD player. Even my son has an iPod in his room.
  13. I can watch movies on my laptop and even stream to a TV.


Technology has changed so much in 13 years, I can’t imagine where it will go next. I’m glad I was able to adapt and keep relatively up to date but I know one day my son will have to explain things to me. I’m going to be calling him (or beaming over to him) to get him to turn on my TV, I’m sure of it.


Have you been able to keep up with technology? See how my friends do it at the Intel Canada Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/IntelCanada

Starting young...


XO,
Lucky


No comments:

Post a Comment