Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Play date Graduation…from laying around to destroying the house


Hi everyone!

It’s that time of the year when you hear strains of Pomp and Circumstance…graduation time! I remember my graduation, all giddy with excitement about finishing university and the reality of paying my student debt had not hit me. The Boy just turned 1 so I’m kinda experiencing my own version of graduation as a parent. ..Graduating from play dates in my case.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to enjoy those play dates, where the babies just lay there, not moving (or screaming or climbing or biting or being bullies).  I sometimes miss those pre-moving around days where The Boy just lay on his play mat taking in his surroundings. I used to hover, poised with the camera, waiting for him to move or smile or spit up. Those peaceful play dates.


Play date or nap time?
Just hanging around


Now, man, trouble in full force! He does not sit still, which means that I do not sit still either. His play dates usually involve me running after him to prevent him from climbing onto something or someone, or give back a toy that he took away from another baby. I can no longer sit and wait for an opportunity to capture something on camera. If I want to take a photo, I have to snap snap snap and hope I got something good.


Escape artist


 
Kitchen reorganization project


The Boy has changed so much and I have had to adapt as well. I guess we both grew in the past year. I have had to learn how to capture a photo when it happens. I also had to learn when to give up on taking the “perfect” photo and enjoy the moment. Sometimes I was so obsessed capturing the cuteness that I was missing out on the fun. 


The aforementioned cuteness

We are so lucky to have so many options to document our children’s lives…DSLR cameras, camcorders, smartphones.  We are too often too busy taking the photo to be in the photo. I’m going to make more of an effort to have more photos like this one


Mommy gets to join in the fun with The Boy and his idol (Big Boy Cousin). Slides are awesome!


How are you capturing the moments with the graduates in your life? See how my friends are doing it at the Intel Canada Facebook page.



XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment