Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Careful, your nerdy side is showing…you don’t have to be an accountant to love spreadsheets.

Hello everyone!

I was recently doing some spring cleaning in The Boy’s room when I came across my stash of spreadsheets from the days right after his birth. Spreadsheets you say? Yes spreadsheets, let me explain. When you have a newborn you have to record a number of things to make sure all is right with them, since they can’t tell you. Details like the time of their last feeding.  If you’re nursing, which side they fed on, how many minutes etc. The quantity of pees and poos in a day. This is all crucial information for your baby’s first doctors’ appointments. For me, this turned out to be another series of things I needed to obsess about…I worried constantly that The Boy did not eat, pee or poo enough.

In my sleep deprived state, a spreadsheet shed some light on haze of feedings and diaper changes. I used it to record all of the minutiae.  And behold, at the first doctor’s appointment, when asked the questions, I pulled out my spreadsheet with the answers. The doctor looked at my husband first, then to me and asked “which one of you is the account?” “Neither, I just really love spreadsheets,” I answered. I know…nerd.

What can I say? I’ve always been a spreadsheet person. In my university days, I used them to organize my classes and schedules. Later on I used them to plan my wedding, plan parties, make meal plans and shopping lists…the list is endless.  Now, I use them to keep on top of baby stuff. First, the aforementioned eat pee poo log. Once The Boy was ready to start solids, I made a spreadsheet to schedule the gradual introduction of new foods. This eventually transitioned into menus. I wanted to make sure he had a balanced diet and was not eating the same thing over and over. The best way for me was to plan his meals, making a menu spreadsheet. Needless to say, he eats better than Baby Daddy and I. His means are all organic and antibiotic free, with the correct portions of protein/carbs/dairy/fruit. Baby Daddy and I eat whatever leftovers seem palatable or whatever we can hastily scrounge together.

The Boy will soon be at the stage when he can eat people food.  Right now his 2 ½ teeth limit him to purees and soft foods.  I guess i better start working on some menus for Baby Daddy and I.  





XO,
Lucky



Get more great advice on cool apps and software for your PC at the Intel Canadapage on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment