Sunday, March 27, 2011

Yummy, yummy in my tummy- O&B Canteen at the TIFF Bell Lightbox


Hi out there!

Baby Daddy and I took a trip into the big city the other night. It made us realize that we should explore Toronto some more, with and without The Boy. You know how us suburb people are sooooo out of touch and not cool or hip and completely disconnected (or so people who live “downtown” hint).

We walked by the TIFF Bell Lightbox and noticed O&BCanteen. We were both feeling a little snackish so we deceived to check it out. We loved it. It’s a great spot and there are lots of interesting things on the menu. We ended up ordering more than a little snack but still managed to clean our plates. The food was yummy and the service was great, even for after 9 p.m. on a Friday night. And it wasn’t super expensive, fairly reasonable for what we had. I don’t have any pics because I didn’t decide to blog about it until after we ravished everything. I’ll make sure I take lots that next time we are there.

Baby Daddy had the French onion soup, I had the prosciutto, provolone and basil sandwich. We shared the potted shrimp, and had the chocolate brownie and vanilla ice-cream for dessert. The French onion soup was really good. The broth was perfectly seasoned and there was just the right amount of croutons and  Gruyère on top.  The sandwich was a bit underwhelming though. Something was  off. It was a little dry. The cheese should have either been more melted or not at all. It was at that in between, slightly wilted stage. The potted shrimp was outstanding. Just the right amount of dill and crème fraiche. It was served with crostini, which they will replenish if you run out.  My favourite of the night was the brownie. I don’t like coffee at all, even in desserts. I could taste a hint of coffee but it did not bother me at all. I’m not sure if there is coffee in the brownie of my taste buds imaged them. I found the ice-cream a teeny tiny bit sweet but not too sweet to deter me from eating it.

Overall it was a fun adventure. Baby Daddy and I got to connect and have some “us” time and have a great meal at the same time. We are definitely going back. I highly recommend it, especially if you  want to grab a yummy lunch.  I don’t know how long it has been in operation but it was new to us out of touch bumpkins from the suburbs.

XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment