Friday, January 28, 2011

Bored? I wish I could be bored.

I think some of the food went into his mouth.

Oh Boy!
Hello out there!

Since Ive been on mat leave i get asked the same questions over an over:

“Aren’t you bored at home all day?”
“Are you looking forward to going back to work?”
“What do you do all day?”

Here are my answers:
“No.”
“No.”
“None of your darn business.” Just kidding. “Too many things to list.”

The other thing that comes up, mostly from men and people without children, is the fact that they think mat leave is a vacation. well, they could not be more wrong. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. You're raising a child, taking care of another human being and not on a full night’s sleep either.

Being at home with The Boy can sometimes be monotonous but never boring. And sometimes I just want to lie in bed all day and watch TV and surf the interwebs but I have to get up and take care of my son, no matter how I feel.

The Boy is a bundle if energy right now. Crawling super fast, getting into all kinds of mischief and going through some separation anxiety so he’ll often stop mid-activity and look for me. He’s also eating solids so I have a whole other set of food to cook and messy things to clean and laundry to do. He sure does keep me on my toes.

So for those who think mat leave is a vacation. It’s not, smarten up and go thank your mother for all that she did for you.

For those of you who think I’m bored, come watch my child for a day. I’ll pump some milk and even leave you a spreadsheet with instructions. I would love to be bored for a day.

As for going back to work, don’t remind me please. The Boy is growing up much too fast and I don't want to miss a second! Just thinking about going back to work and leaving him is making me anxious and weepy.

So please excuse me while i go eat a jar of Nutella and cry in the corner while he naps.

XO,
Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment